NEW CASTLE —
Apple Pancakes with Cider Syrup
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Egg substitute for 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (1-1/2 inches)
Dash ground nutmeg
In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in apple and raisins.
Combine the low-fat buttermilk, egg substitute, and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients.
Pour batter by heaping 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle lightly sprayed with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cider until smooth; add cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Discard cinnamon stick. Stir nutmeg into syrup. Serve pancakes with warm syrup.
Yield: 6 pancakes (2/3 cup syrup).