NEW CASTLE —
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 of a vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 large red, yellow and/or green sweet peppers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (3 oz.)
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh rosemary or 1/8 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. onion salt
Several dashed bottled hot pepper sauce
Preheat oven to 350. In a medium saucepan, combine mushrooms, water, barley and bouillon cube. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until barley is tender; drain.
Meanwhile, halve sweet peppers lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes. If desired, precook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes; invert onto paper towels to drain.
In a medium bowl, combine egg, tomato, 1/2 of the cheese, zucchini, bread crumbs, basil, rosemary, onion salt and hot pepper sauce. Stir in cooked barley mixture. Place peppers, cut side up in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Spoon barley mixture into peppers.
Bake, covered for 20 to 25 minutes or until barley mixture is heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake uncovered, about 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Green Beans with Almonds
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsps. butter
- 1 1/3 cups slivered almonds, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans or chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Raisins, golden raisins or currants (optional)
In a Dutch oven, cook green beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and return to Dutch oven.
Meanwhile, in an 8-inch skillet, cook garlic in hot butter over medium heat until tender and lightly golden. Add to green beans along with almonds, lemon juice and salt. Toss to combine. If desired, top with raisins.
Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars