NEW CASTLE —
Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (more if needed)
- 1 package fast rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup very warm water (125 to 130 degrees F)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- coarse salt or sesame seeds
Mix 2 cups flour, the yeast (dry) and salt in large bowl. Stir in water, oil and honey. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet.
Punch down dough; divide into 12 equal parts. Roll each part into rope, about 18 inches long. Twist each rope into pretzel shape on cookie sheet. Brush pretzels with egg white; sprinkle with coarse salt or sesame seeds.
Bake about 15 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown and crust is crisp. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm and, if desired, with prepared mustard.