NEW CASTLE — Low-Fat Carrot or Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded carrots or zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs or egg substitute equivalent
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour a loaf pan or small springform or bundt pan.
Mix sugar and applesauce in a large bowl. Combine dry ingredients and add to the wet mixture. Add carrots or zucchini and vanilla. Beat in the eggs one at a time (do not beat the eggs too much). Mix well.
Stir in the optional nuts and raisins. Pour into the pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread come out clean.
Variation: Add 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained, to the batter.