NEW CASTLE —
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 (1 pound) package powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Irish cream, such as Bailey’s or heavy cream
- Green food coloring
Preheat oven to 350. Line 18 muffin cups with liners.
In bowl, mix cocoa and hot water until dissolved; reserve.
Melt 6 tablespoons butter; reserve.
In bowl, mix flour with next five ingredients.
Whisk in buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and cocoa mixture. Stir in chips.
Divide among liners. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Transfer from pan to racks; cool.
On medium-high speed, beat remaining butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until blended. Add liqueur; beat until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Beat with 1/8 teaspoon food coloring until blended. Pipe or spoon frosting over cupcakes. If desired, decorate with shamrocks.
Salad ‘n Fruit
- 10 cups mesclun, torn romaine and/or spinach
- 3 cups red and/or green pears, cored and thinly sliced; sliced strawberries and/or blueberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme, oregano or basil or 1/2 teaspoon of those herbs, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup broken walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue or feta cheese (2 ounces)
In a large salad bowl, place mesclun and fruit. Toss lightly to combine.
For dressing, in a screw-top jar, combine oil, vinegar, herbs, sugar, garlic, mustard and pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour dressing over salad; toss lightly to coat.
Divide evenly among salad plates. Sprinkle each serving with nuts and cheese.
(*Most recipes have not been tested.)