New Castle News
NEW CASTLE —
Happy Independence Day!
Stay safe today and avoid being one of the hundreds sent to emergency rooms with an injury from a firework.
Hands and fingers account for the most injuries, 46 percent, with sparklers being the single most injury-prone firework according to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
While injures from fireworks are common, a few simple safety tips can prevent trips to the hospital:
•Know your fireworks — Make sure you read the warning labels and performance descriptions before igniting. As fireworks can be redesigned from year to year, what performed one way last year might perform differently this year.
•Have a designated shooter — For family shows, have one person designated to light and fire your night fireworks. Also, make sure spectators are a safe distance away from the show.
•Have parental supervision — Parents and caretakers should always closely supervise teens if they are using fireworks and should not allow young children to handle or use fireworks, including sparklers.
•Don’t relight “duds” — Never try to relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes before touching the firework and then soak it in a bucket of water.
•Soak fireworks — After the fun has passed, soak spent fireworks with water before throwing them away outside.
(Safety tips courtesy of The National Council on Fireworks Safety.)