NEW CASTLE — Valentine’s Day Angel Food Cake Roll
- 9 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
For the filling:
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding (prepare according to directions using skim milk)
- 3 cups diced strawberries
1. Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, line a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with waxed paper; lightly coat paper with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff and glossy peak form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour, 1/4 cup at a time.
4. Carefully spread batter onto prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
5. Dust a clean kitchen towel with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar. Turn the cake out onto the kitchen towel. Gently peel of waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Meanwhile, prepare non-fat instant vanilla pudding. Gently fold in the strawberries. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
7. Unroll cooled cake; spread filling within 1/2 inch of edges (you may have some filling left over). Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving plate; sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, if desired. Serve with any leftover berries and pudding mixture. Store leftovers, covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator.